Is Your Dog Allergic To Bees? How To Spot Anaphylactic Shock In Dogs
Dogs can have a sudden, deadly reaction, called anaphylaxis, shortly after being stung by a bee or coming into contact with a substance they’re allergic to. They can have this intense allergic reaction to just about anything, including bee stings, medications and vaccines, but they have to be exposed to them first before, meaning that your dog will not suffer a deadly allergic reaction on the first sting, but may on the second. Once you spot any signs of sensitivity, such as swelling and hives, you always have to be on the lookout. Here’s how you can spot anaphylactic shock in dogs.
Sudden Onset of Unexplained Symptoms
While anaphylaxis is relatively easy to spot in humans, it is more difficult to diagnose in dogs. Not only is it difficult to notice signs of swelling, redness and hives because they are often hidden by the coat, dogs don’t usually have difficulty breathing. However, they can experience a wide range of symptoms that seemingly have nothing to do with a bee sting. These symptoms are often difficult to recognize as classic signs of shock. Following are some unexplained symptoms that a dog in anaphylactic shock may experience after a bee sting.
- Swelling around mouth
- Swelling at sting site
- Pale Gums
- Blue tongue
- Cold limbs
- Fast heart rate
- Weak pulse
It is important to realize that not all dogs experience all of these symptoms. If your dog goes into shock, it may simply have a seizure, fall over and lose control of its bladder. It may not show any signs of swelling or difficulty breathing at all. Similarly, your dog may lose consciousness for seemingly no reason at all. Therefore, it’s vital that you take your dog to the hospital for any sudden onset of any of these symptoms.
Subsequent Symptoms of Anaphylaxis
Even after treatment, your dog may go back into shock. For this reason, it’s very important that you monitor your dog closely in the hours and days following an allergic reaction. Additionally, allergic reactions usually get worse with each subsequent sting. Once your dog has proven allergic, you will have to keep a close eye on them and keep epinephrine on hand.
Anaphylactic shock can cause quick death in dogs. If you want to prevent death, you have to pay attention to your dog and look for signs of shock, especially if they have had a reaction previously. If you need to take your dog to an animal hospital, visit http://www.amctallahassee.com.